Complete a simple web form, and get an individual short-term disability insurance quote online. Get a quick answer to a simple question about what it may cost to protect your income from future accidents and illnesses that might prevent you from working.
Know what to expect when you complete an online web form for a short-term disability insurance quote. Many carriers ask questions designed to price the policies appropriately and weed out applicants who may not pass underwriting. Many people wait until it is too late.
- Prepare yourself to answer carrier questions
- Explore alternatives if your answers exclude you
Individual Short-Term Disability Quotes Exclusions
Individual short-term disability insurance quotes online contain questions designed to ferret out the adverse selection. Adverse selection occurs when most people wanting to investigate the cost of a policy have a motive – either they are currently disabled, or have an existing medical condition that will likely result in lost income.
A new policy will not cover preexisting conditions – including pregnancy.
The carrier will reject your new policy application if :
- you have a major health condition
- you are currently disabled
- you have a high body mass index (BMI).
You may want to first explore alternatives if are likely to fail the exclusion criteria.
- Free debt relief quote. If you already owe more than $10,000 in credit card debt, you situation may deteriorate further with leftover medical bills combined with lost income. A settlement program may be your best alternative.
- Request a health insurance quote. Many people lose their health insurance while disabled. The loss of coverage is a qualifying life event, which means you can begin a new plan optimized for your health condition outside of open enrollment. A lower income may also mean that you qualify for premium and cost-sharing subsidies.
- Get a quote on a short-term loan to meet your temporary funding needs. Repay the lender with interest once you are able to return to work and resume earning an income.
Requesting an individual short-term disability quote online does not help you if you have a preexisting health condition. You may not be healthy enough to meet the underwriting criteria. In addition, a new policy will exclude losses from any pre-existing condition for the first twelve months after the effective date.
Pregnancy and major health conditions are the most common conditions that exclude people from coverage.
- If you have a pre-existing pregnancy an online short-term disability quote does not help your current situation. A new policy will not cover any pregnancy related losses until well after you deliver your baby.
- You will not qualify for individual short-term disability insurance if you currently have a major health condition. Examples of a major health condition include but are not limited to some of the following conditions.
- Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Heart, Liver, Lung, Kidney Disease
- Digestive/Intestinal Disease
- Muscle, Back, Joint Disorders
- If you are currently disabled you do not qualify to purchase short-term disability insurance. Many carriers will not issue a policy to a disabled applicant until twelve months after he or she returns to work.
Body Mass Index
The online web form will ask you for your height and weight in order to calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI). Your BMI is the ratio of your weight in kilograms divided by your height in meters. Many carriers will not approve an applicant considered obese – with a BMI over 35.
Short-Term Disability Quote Online Questions
Expect the online short-term disability insurance quote form to ask several simple questions most individuals can easily answer. Agents will use these simple questions and answers to estimate the monthly premium cost for a feature configuration that best fits your needs. Expect to receive estimates based upon the elimination period, monthly benefit amount, and coverage length.
Request an online disability quote if the following apply to your situation.
- You do not have a preexisting health condition
- Your employer does not offer a program
- You are currently working
- You are not currently pregnant
Expect to answer questions about your age, occupation, income, tobacco use, gender, and identifying information.
Your gender sometimes affects the price you may have to pay. Some carriers offer unisex rates while others price the coverage to reflect the true risks for each policyholder. In general, women pay more for individual disability insurance than men do, as they file more claims and stay out of work longer than men stay out.
Enter your date of birth into the web form. Your attained age at the time of application determines the premium cost. Many carriers will keep the premium the same as you age. If you are approaching a milestone birthday, now is a good time to start your coverage.
Choose your current occupation from the drop-down list presented on the web form. You will find a list of industries and job roles. Choose the selection that fits best.
Choose your monthly income from a drop down list found in the online short-term disability insurance quote form. Most carriers will offer a policy replacing up to two-thirds of monthly income, up to a hard dollar cap ranging as high as $6,500.
Answer the smoking question “yes” if you have used tobacco in any form during the last twelve months. Many carriers will charge a higher premium for smokers compared to non-smokers. Make certain that you answer the question honestly.
Input your identifying information into the web form so that an agent can contact you, and the system can scrub the data to verify that you are a real person, living at a real address. Unfortunately, many imposters ruin the process for others. Make sure the information is accurate and complete.