Short-term disability insurance takes the financial worry out pregnancy bed rest before birth. You doctor may order you to stop working months before your delivery. Can you afford to take the time off?
The coverage also allows mom to enjoy a maternity leave pay while she recovers from childbirth and bonds with her newborn baby. The very same policy may also pay benefits if mom delays her return from work because of postpartum problems.
- Gain security in case of complications before birth
- Enjoy maternity leave income after normal childbirth
- Spend time bonding with your baby without financial stress
Short-Term Disability Insurance for Pregnancy
Short-term disability insurance for pregnancy works differently than most site visitors assume. Buying a policy is an important first step, as most states do not automatically provide coverage for workers. You must purchase the coverage before conception, and through the right channel (your employer) to obtain a policy with the optimal benefits.
Buying When Pregnant
You can purchase short-term disability while pregnant, but the policy will cover only future conceptions. Short-term disability pregnancy preexisting conditions are generally not covered. Most policies contain exclusions for preexisting medical conditions. Two exclusions generate the majority of denied claims.
- A preexisting condition may mean, having a sickness or physical condition for which you were treated, received medical advice, or had taken medication within 12 months before the effective date. If you miss work because of a preexisting condition, the policy will not make claims payments if the income loss occurs during the first 12 months of effective date.
- Giving birth as the result of a normal childbirth, including C-section, which occurs within nine months of the effective date.
Request a Quote
Get a short-term disability quote to estimate the monthly premium cost, and compare the cost to the expected claims payments for normal childbirth. See examples of what the policy may also pay in the event of complications, premature birth, postpartum disorders, accidents, or an illness.
You will find that the expected claims payments for highly likely medical events may greatly exceed your premiums. The ratio of claims to premiums explains why you want to purchase coverage. The ratio also motivates action.
Applying for Benefits
Apply for short-term disability benefits when leaving work before birth due to bed rest or high-risk complications. Your policy may begin making claims payments after satisfying the elimination period. Your doctor needs to verify the medical reason why you are unable to work. You employer must verify that they are no longer paying you.
Complete an express childbirth claims form after giving birth. Simply have your doctor validate the type of delivery – vaginal birth, or C-section. The carrier will quickly forward your claims payment provided the date of birth be at least nine months after the policy effective date.
Pregnancy Bed Rest
Short-term disability can be very valuable during pregnancy bed rest, the period before giving birth when your doctor’s note cites a medical reason why you should stop working. Not every pregnancy complication is automatically a valid claims reason.
- Carpal tunnel syndrome must impede the performance of your primary job duties
- Gestational diabetes rarely interferes with job duties
- Lower back pain may impede lifting, or standing for long periods
- Miscarriage may require recovery at home
- Morning sickness must be very severe and continue daily for weeks
- High-risk pregnancy alone does not qualify unless combined with a specific medical condition
- Stress or anxiety during pregnancy are mental conditions and rarely covered
- Preterm labor may be eligible under childbirth rules
Short-Term Disability Insurance Maternity Leave
Short-term disability insurance for maternity leave makes claims payments while you recover from normal childbirth. Having a policy allows you to spend more time bonding with your baby, and less time worrying about how to pay your bills.
Only policies covering normal childbirth make claims payments during maternity leave. What has overwhelming advantages to growing families is a money loser for insurers. Therefore, there are a few extra steps needed in order to qualify.
Maternity Leave Pay
Short-term disability maternity leave pay works as follows.
- 6-week cash payment for vaginal birth
- 8-week cash payment for C-section delivery
- Payments begin after satisfying your elimination period
- Elimination period is commonly one or two weeks
Individual Policies for Maternity Leave
You may have visited this page because your employer does not offer short-term disability, or you missed their annual open enrollment, and need a policy to begin right away. You can choose between two types of individual policies. One offers greater convenience, the other better benefits.
Individual short-term disability for maternity leave allows you to purchase coverage without involving your employer. The process is simple and easy. Contact an agent licensed in your state to complete an application. This policy type has one major drawback. Recovery from labor and delivery is not covered!
Voluntary short-term disability for maternity leave does cover your recovery from labor and delivery! You can enjoy maternity leave income for a medical event you know is highly likely to occur.
You can enjoy these better benefits if your employer agrees to offer a voluntary option. You pay the premiums yourself via payroll deduction for an individual policy you own. There is no direct cost to your employer to provide the option to you and your co-workers.
You must ask your employer. We provide talking points, and help with setup with your employer.
Reasons to Extend Maternity Leave
Medically based postpartum problems are the most common reasons to extend short-term disability for maternity leave. Having a baby is a high-risk activity. Things may not go the way you envisioned. You may be injured during delivery, or develop an infection.
Short-term disability for postpartum depression rarely works. Check your policy language to see if it excludes mental disorders. Many do not consider postpartum depression or stress as a valid reason to extend maternity leave benefits.
Returning to Work
Your plans for returning to work do not extend short-term disability maternity leave benefits. Medical necessity determines the length of claims payments. They continue as long as your doctor indicates you are unable to work, or the payment period ends.